Ivan Milat moves to Long Bay jail hospital from Prince of Wales

A heavily guarded Ivan Milat has been moved from a high-security ward in Sydney's Prince of Wales hospital to Long Bay Jail hospital in a convoy of three cars.

The convicted serial killer has been in the Randwick hospital since May 13, when he was first transported from his cell at Goulburn supermax jail.

He has been diagnosed with advanced cancer of the oesophagus, and told he may only have weeks to live.

On Tuesday the 74-year-old travelled in the convoy of cars that left Prince of Wales hospital around 12.25pm.


He was seated in the right-hand, back passenger seat of a white Nissan 4WD, which stopped briefly on Randwick's Hospital Road as a large media scrum surrounded the vehicle.

The car, which was followed by two other vehicles carrying Corrective Services officers and staff, drove straight to Long Bay Jail Hospital on Anzac Parade.

Over the past two weeks Milat has undergone testing and possible treatment of advanced malignant tumours on his throat and in his stomach, in a secure inmate-only annexe of the hospital.

He is serving seven life sentences for the killing of seven young backpackers between 1989 and 1993. Despite his conviction in 1996 he has never admitted to any of the murders.

Milat is not expected to return to his solitary confinement cell in Goulburn – rather he is likely to see out his days in the Long Bay hospital facility.

Milat's nephew Alistair Shipsey told The Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday that he was expecting to visit the 74-year-old once he arrived at Long Bay Hospital.

"I'm going to be applying definitely to visit, as soon I know he's there, solid, locked in, I'll be going to visit him."

Mr Shipsey said his mother Dianne and his uncle Bill had both been to visit Milat in the past week at the Prince of Wales.

"Mum said he was in high spirits, said he talks very clearly, no dementia … nothing wrong. He's switched on," he said, adding that both his mother and his uncle commented on how much weight Milat had lost.

"Bill said I'd be lucky to recognise him, he's lost so much weight … [but] last week he actually got to have some soup, he's keeping food down, and is fully coherent, feeling a lot better."

It is unclear what treatment Milat will undertake, however it is understood all custodial patients are triaged for treatment like other public patients at the hospital, by a multidisciplinary team of nurses, doctors, psychiatrists and allied health staff, including aged care and cancer care clinicians.

Click Here:

Custodial patients are not given priority treatment beyond what is appropriate and required.

A Justice Health and Forensic Mental Health Network spokeswoman told the Herald that treatment plans were "determined by clinicians based on the individual needs of the patient, including consultation with specialists (such as cancer and surgical specialists) from Prince of Wales Hospital."


While she could not comment on individual patient cases, the spokeswoman said all custodial patients who complete care at Prince of Wales Hospital can be moved to Long Bay Hospital for clinical care, in collaboration with the cancer specialists.

Mr Shipsey said the Milat family had been told the convicted serial killer would potentially undergo chemotherapy, adding that he had had "two procedures" while he's been at the Randwick hospital.

Milat has always maintained his innocence.

This month NSW Police minister David Elliot made a public statement urging the 74-year-old to do “one last honourable thing on his deathbed” and assist police with any questions related to his crimes and other unsolved murders to which he has been linked.